Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Draft

I just read an interesting article that was on my homepage. It seems that a Representative, Charles Rangel, a Democrat from NY has an idea about reinstating the military draft. In it he would have all citizens from 18 to 26 years of age register for it. In his explanation of it he states that it would be a deterrent for Congress or the President to start a war. He says that if there was a draft before the war on Iraq begun it would have never happened because of the concern for the son's and daughters of members of Congress. He also states that it would be a way to bolster the number of troops needed to help in Iraq. I don't know about you, but the way I see it is, if there are more soldiers available, wouldn't it be a bonus to start another war? Instead of having only 500,000 troops, we could conceivably end up with more than 2 million or so. I can just see someone in a high political position saying to the President- Hey, we got 2 million soldiers, why don't we just wipe North Korea off the map and not have to deal with these guys anymore? I personally don't agree with a call for a military draft, unless there is a major conflict that would require that type of action. I don't see it as any kind of deterrent at all. That's just my take on it though. Till next time BYE!!

2 comments:

Barb said...

I not sure if Rangel's idea about the draft being a deterrent would work. Wouldn't those same sons and daughter's of people of importance still be privy to contrived exemptions?

Anonymous said...

So now we know, after all, that people do pay attention and even vote to re-elect this Rangle person.

People laugh at him and yet keep him in office.