Wednesday, November 22, 2006

35mm SLR

Waxing nostalgic about my band days got me to thinking about my cameras. I got my first 35mm camera when I was about 25 years old. It was a pretty nice camera but only had the most basic of features. I had pretty much out grown my first 35mm camera and wanted more flexibility shooting pictures. So I went and bought the 35mm camera that I still have to this day. Both were the Sears brand which I later found out was actually made by Ricoh. I soon out grew the 50mm lens that came with the camera and bought a 28mm wide angle lens. Then I added an 80-200 mm zoom lens with macro so I could take pictures up close of objects like flowers. Then came the 2x adapter to get more focal length and a motor drive.

The motor drive came in very handy when I went to see the Detroit Grand Prix. When the Grand Prix first debuted in Detroit, they ran Formula one cars. Later, they ran the more familiar Indy type cars.

I used to get a photo pass for the Grand Prix which allowed me to get into better areas to get pictures of the cars roaring around the track. One noticeable difference between the Formula One races and the Indy car races is in the way they qualify. In Indy car, they qualify one at a time, in Formula one, you take you chances with who else is on the track. Therefore, even during qualifying, there are several cars on the track at a time with Formula one.

The last lens I bought for this camera was a short zoom lens, a 28-85mm one. It was the lens I tended to use most of the time. I also have an assortment of filters to use with these lenses.

This was the camera I used for many years until I decided I wanted something newer with auto-focus about 2 years ago. Here's a picture of the camera. Till next time BYE!!

No comments: