Sunday, November 26, 2006

Digital Camera's, Ya Gotta Love Em!

I bought the digital camera that I own about 2 years ago. It's a Canon Digital Rebel, and will take 6 mega pixel pictures. Part of the reason I bought the Canon brand was that I had already bought the 35mm Canon Rebel and had 2 lenses to fit that one. The nice thing is that these lenses also work with the digital camera also.

I've taken this camera on our vacations and other occasions where we wanted pictures. I can't imagine anything being simpler or easier to use. The only thing that might scare some away would be it's size. It's a bit bigger than a regular 35mm camera. The other thing that might scare folks away would be the "changing lenses" routine. Many want a simple point and shoot style camera and that's fine if that's what you want. As you can tell, it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted the flexibility that I had with my 35mm and multiple lens setup.

My digital camera can be used in the same manner, but you do have to set how much of the subject you want with the lens. Other than that, it's pretty much a point and shoot. The neatest thing though, is that I can take pictures and just pop out the memory card, put it in my pc, then bring up the pictures I just took. There's even a program that lets you put the pictures into photo albums also. How neat huh? No stopping to drop the film off and no waiting to scan the pictures into your pc, they're already there. Another neat feature of my camera is that you can set the size of the pictures you want to take. This makes taking a lot of pictures easy.

At the setting I have my camera on, I can take 286 full sized pictures with my 1 gigabyte memory card. If I set it to the smallest setting, I can get nearly 1000 pictures. This is how I have taken all the photos of my trains you have seen. I do however scale them down to size when I upload them to make it quicker to get them uploaded. I keep the original sized photo in a folder.

I now have 3 lenses that fit this camera and one for Christmas on the way. At the moment I have an 18-55mm lens that came with the digital camera plus a 35-80mm and a 80-200mm that came with the 35mm rebel. These lenses cover pretty much all that I usually use.

The new lens that I have ordered has a bit more range to it, plus the macro feature. I am thinking it will be the lens of choice when I get it. With the exception of portrait photos, and really wide angle photos.

So, all in all, I think this digital camera thing is a very good idea. I won't get rid of my 35mm film cameras though. I still like being able to use that format and have some nice equipment to use. Till next time BYE!!

5 comments:

Barb said...

I just love it when talk all techy and stuff. (Wink.)

John Holland said...

I want that camera so bad. I have the 35mm rebel and figured that I could use my lens for the digital version. It's just a little out of my price range right now.

Mike said...

John, just a note about the lenses, they are forward compatible but not backward compatible. That is, the digital lens cannot be used with the 35mm version, but the 35mm lenses can be used on the digital, due to the size of the image sensor on the digital.

Anonymous said...

A good read, Mike, on things that we may take for granted.

Pepper said...

That is a nice camera. I have a Nikon and it takes pretty good pictures.